Today is IDAHOBIT! The International Day Against Homophobia, Biphobia, Intersexphobia and Transphobia. This is a day to celebrate LGBTQIA+ people and to continue to raise awareness and rally against the discrimination these groups still face.
75% of LGBTQIA+ youth face some form of discrimination and 77% of transgender and gender diverse people report being discriminated against in the last 12 months. Compared to 6.2% of the general population, 39% of LGBTQIA+ people have experienced depression in the last 12 months (IDAHOBIT, 2020). Want to know how you can help? There are plenty of ways to show your support:
- At Nathan campus? Join us to celebrate IDAHOBIT in the Goanna Lounge between 2 – 3 pm today
- Join the Griffith Ally Network
- Go Rainbow! Get a pride pack from IDAHOBIT’s official website and show your support by decking your spaces out in colour
- Organise an event
- Use the hashtag #IDAHOBIT to show the world why being an ally is so important
- Donate to support LGBTQIA+ youth.
There are many more ways you can celebrate this day. Check out IDAHOBIT’s website for more ideas and for further resources.