Learning Futures is thrilled to welcome Professor Michael Sankey as Deputy Director, Learning Transformation. Michael started in this role on the 12th March and is already flat out in meetings, organising events and updating his eportfolio!

We had the chance to sit down with him for a quick Q&A, to get to know him better…

How would you describe your role of Deputy Director Learning Transformation in Learning Futures?

This is a really exciting new role focused on how we can enable our teaching staff to collaboratively work with some contemporary approaches to technology enhanced learning and teaching. It’s not about ‘here is the newest and greatest shiny thing’, but it’s more about giving them a new lense through which to see their current practice and to assist them (if they want to) in refreshing some of their approaches, to meet the needs of today’s student body.

What are three key things you are looking forward to in 2018?

For Griffith: Initially looking at the affordances of Blackboard Ultra as an opportunity for the university to work with some newer approaches to the interoperability of learning and teaching systems with the new Office 365 suite of tools.

For the Australian sector: Running a major inter-institution benchmarking activity in June, at Griffith, with some 30 Australasian institutions using the ACODE Benchmarks for Technology Enhanced Learning and Teaching.

Internationally: Working with the Open University in the UK and JISC, to establish an international approach to quality standards in technology enhanced learning and teaching

What is something that we may not know about you?

Prior to my academic career, I was a professional photographer for some 20 years, mostly in the area of public relations and promotions. Although I left that work behind some 17 years ago, I still use photography as one of my creative outlets and endeavour to exhibit my images on a regular basis. To help keep my creative eye in, I am a regular user of Instagram, where I post a photograph each day (usually just one as I don’t want to be one of those Insta-spammers).

Michael is also a social media butterfly and is one to follow for interesting articles and insights: