Dr Brooke Harris-Reeves from the School of Allied Health Sciences in Griffith Health is the winner of an Australian Awards for University Teaching 2019 Citation for Outstanding Contributions to Student Learning.

Brooke initiated, designed, implemented and evaluated innovative employability-focused curricula fostering student engagement, positive student experiences and graduate employment.

Congratulations, Brooke!

What motivates and inspires you in your teaching?

I am passionate about creating learning experiences that engage and support every student, encouraging confidence and capability to gain employment in their chosen career/s. I aim to provide complex and highly individualised support while focusing on the overall student experience to ensure students successfully transition through their studies. 

What have been the most effective pedagogical approaches you’ve implemented in your courses?

I am immensely proud of my Program Director leadership and my design and implementation of program-wide curriculum and assessment in the Bachelor of Sport Development to include employability capacity building and work integrated learning (WIL)tasks. My design and iterative development of the Bachelor of Sport Development curriculum with core employability focus has resulted in widespread student satisfaction and employment success.

How have teaching practices in your discipline changed with the introduction of new technologies?

My interest in employability focused curriculum has led me to seek alternatives for appropriate use of online learning technologies. I design simple, yet engaging learning experiences on a variety of platforms including PebblePad, LinkedIn, Echo360, Blackboard Collaborate, Teams and Smart Sparrow. The success of these initiatives has resulted in program wide implementation through the Bachelor of Sport Development. 

What is something new you are looking forward to trying in your learning and teaching practice in 2020?

2020 is turning out to be a very different year than we all expected. I never thought I would have such a steep learning curve in the learning and teaching space. It has been challenging yet rewarding to try new and innovative ways of staying connected with my students while engaging them and supporting them during this time. Until now the online space has been very foreign to me as I have historically delivered my teaching face-to-face. I look forward to learning more about the online space and designing innovative ways to ensure my students remain engaged with their learning and connected with each other.  

What do you see as the biggest challenge or next big shift in learning and teaching?

The biggest challenges we face as tertiary educators is how to enhance student engagement and ensure students have the necessary skills to excel in the constantly evolving workplace. In order to achieve this, educators need to put students at the centre of their own learning journey. This can be achieved through the personalisation of learning by acknowledging the diverse range of student interests, needs and career aspirations and designing tailored curriculum.