Abdul Basit graduated from a Master of Global Public Health in 2020 from Griffith University. He shares his journey from the start of his career, and his experiences as a Medical Doctor.

“Being a medical doctor, I have a diverse experience of clinical practice and public health practice. I initially started working as a medical doctor with International Medical Corps (IMC) an INGO providing healthcare services to internally displaced people in Pakistan. With more experience I was promoted to various positions including team leader, project manager, and medical coordinator. In 2014, I joined the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) as assistant public health officer to oversee the implementation of a healthcare service delivery program in 43 Afghan refugee villages across Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Province, Pakistan.

In order to further excel in my career, I started a Master of Global Public Health program at Griffith University. I selected this program because I wanted to gain the contemporary skills and knowledge needed to address modern-day public health issues.

Public health addresses health issues and well-being at community, national, and global levels by not only focusing on the health sector but also addressing issues of related sectors that may impact the overall health of the population.

My study experience at Griffith University was diverse as apart from routine assignments we were engaged in practical activities like group work assignments and public health promotion projects with the lecturers/conveners providing support at every step. Especially, the public health practice project provided me an excellent opportunity to carry out research work more independently with my peers along with academic guidance. Our research topic, ‘Analysis of crisis communication by the prime minister of Australia during the COVID-19 pandemic’ was completed successfully and is currently under review in a reputable peer-reviewed journal.

Abdul Basit, Master of Global Public Health – Pakistan (Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Province)

Successful completion of the Master of Global Public Health has diversified my career choices. It opened opportunities in a wide range of areas including epidemiology, research, infectious disease control, project management, disaster risk reduction, monitoring and evaluation, non-communicable disease control programs planning and management, etc.”