My interest in China developed after participating in Griffith University’s Asia Future Fellows program for undergraduates in 2014. In 2016, I spent six months studying and interning in China and Hong Kong under the New Colombo Plan Scholarship Program.

On the Great Wall with 2014 Asia Future Fellows

It was an extremely fulfilling and valuable experience that provided me with the opportunity to further my knowledge of China, its political and legal system, and its rich culture. It was the perfect chance to increase my professional connections and networks in Asia, whilst also allowing me to experience life and culture in China, to create lifelong friendships, and to connect with old ones I had made during my time in Beijing with the Asia Future Fellows program.

I began my New Colombo Plan experience with a semester of study at the China University of Political Science and Law in Beijing. I studied a number of law courses as part of my exchange semester as well as taking Chinese language classes. I thoroughly enjoyed my studies at the China University of Political Science and Law in Beijing and I was fortunate enough to be taught by professors who were experts in their fields and who had been involved in assisting with significant legal reforms to the environmental legislation and the criminal justice system in China. I was also able to increase my knowledge of the Chinese legal system and the political and cultural complexities that lie behind it.

China University of Political Science and Law

Chinese language classes were very enjoyable and extremely useful in helping me to quickly learn how to better navigate the city and to communicate with the local people. I believe that learning language is a crucial step in discovering more about a culture and this is no doubt true in China, where the language is linked to ancient culture and traditions. I now plan to continue with my Chinese language studies on my return to Australia. I really enjoyed my semester of study and the opportunity to communicate and create close connections with Chinese and international students with diverse backgrounds.

At University, I was also able to learn Tai Chi (a type of Chinese martial arts) which gave me the opportunity to travel to the south of China and participate in a competition and meet Tai Chi masters from many different parts of China.

The Beijing Australia-China Youth Association executive

As a New Colombo Plan scholar in Beijing, I was grateful to have the opportunity to attend Australian Embassy events, to be part of the Australia-China Youth Association, and to attend various talks and networking events. Beijing is a vibrant city where it is easy to find rich Chinese culture and tradition but also new and exciting international and professional opportunities. I would without a doubt recommend it as a location to complete an exchange semester or as part of the New Colombo Plan scholarship program.

I undertook an internship in Beijing at Women’s Watch China, a non-governmental organisation connected to a public interest law firm, which was a very rewarding opportunity for me and gave me the opportunity to gain the insight that I wanted into the legal and political issues faced by urban and rural women in China. I was able to assist the centre in their work and learnt more about organisations that are making countless efforts to reform and improve legislation in this regard. I also spent some time in Hong Kong, where I interned at the High Court. Throughout my internship I learnt more about the Hong Kong judicial system, and about modern issues faced by the legal system.

At a Griffith University alumni event with Emeritus Professor Colin Mackerras.

At a Griffith University alumni event with Emeritus Professor Colin Mackerras

The ability to work closely with a Deputy High Court Judge was a special experience and it offered me the opportunity to discuss hearings and reasoning behind judicial decisions as well as to assist in the drafting of some judicial reviews. The Asia Future Fellows program for undergraduates was a wonderful stepping stone to China and the New Colombo Plan scholarship has provided me with an amazing opportunity to study and intern in Asia, and through this opportunity I have been able to assure myself that my future will no doubt involve China and the Indo-Pacific.

Run through the Griffith Asia Institute, the Asia Future Fellows program for undergraduates aims to enhance opportunities for Griffith and Peking University students to enrich their studies, experience a different culture and make personal and future professional connections while making a difference in their community through volunteering.

Article by Inez Botta-Stanwell, a Griffith University Law/Government and International Relations and Honours College student.